Thursday, April 10, 2008

Door hinge and latch

I built an internal hinge, yes you could bang your head on it. I called it the Binford head banger model
3000. It is built out of one inch square tubing, 1/4 plate, and 3/8 inch bolts. My first attempt was smaller and bolted to the other side of the hinge spar, it caused the door to hit the wall. This new design allowed the door to open 90 degrees.









Here is the door open.













I used the same latch for the door as the hatch (same key also). I used it for a template for the hole in the door. A notch was necessary, for the door to latch, in the door jam.










Here is the latch put together. A couple of notes the cables are to keep the door in shape (should have put more structure in the door earlier), and the picture was taken in Alabama, so several days of travel made a mess. I used bungee cords, top and bottom, for curtain rods, just drilled holes for mounting points. My neighbor made the matching curtains and bedspread.

del

No comments: