Tuesday, August 21, 2007

jelly bean




My name is Del and some time ago I seen this drawing of a teardrop trailer that, as far as I know, has never been built. I wanted to build this trailer from the day I first saw the drawing.

Andrew from olde England drew up plans from the drawings that existed (http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear00.htm)(look at the bottom left corner of the page).

Now fast forward a few months. Mike, of a forum I belong to (http://www.mikenchell.com/forums), ran a contest where the winner received a 4 x 8 trailer. For my entry I used the 1947 Roswell pictured at the top. The part that scared me the most was those fenders, but I had to build the trailer anyway. Sadly I did not win the contest, but out of this came Mike's idea of a wider trailer with wheel wells, instead of fenders.

The amazing thing is Mike drew this on a computer, for little old me, a guy he has never met. Thanks Mike.

One of the problems with this trailer is although large for a teardrop, it is very curvy so interior space is compromised. Making it wider helped, I settled on six inches wider because that made it pretty close to my Subaru's width. Mike made it wider than that, but I did not want to put other mirrors on my 4 cylinder suby. Though now five foot wide at the middle, it is only four foot wide at the floor where the mattress goes.

del

No comments: