Wednesday, August 22, 2007

spars
















The internal frame work of the body is made of spars. In Andrew's drawings he gives a profile of the wall in the centre. It gives a point to mark on a four inch grid, I put a finish nail in each point and used an eight foot aluminum ruler to make the smooth flowing curve. I made one this way, and I used it for a pattern for the other five. I made them all about two inches wide on 1/2 inch ply for 4 of them, and 3/4 for the other 2.

Once they were cut out I clamped them together with more clamps than shown here, and sanded the profile till they were all the same. Note to any one trying a project like this, you now own less than 1% of the clamps you will use.


















The middle (3 /4) an rear (1/2) spars get assembled kinda like this. I used 1 x 2 for the top and bottom. Measure carefully and use the very top and bottom to set the distance apart. I did not do it this way, I used the distance at the floor, and wished I had done the other. I found out later when I put the skins on the body, at least it is not 3/16 out of square. Once again I assembled one spar and used it for a template for the others.














They turned out looking like this. Next the front spar that the hinge hooks to.

del

No comments: