Sunday, September 2, 2007

frame

I am going to jump to the frame. I built the frame during the body construction, kinda like a time filler when I was waiting for the glue to dry on the body.
After assembly this is what the 40 wide by 48 long harbor freight with 8 inch tires looks like (jack sold separately). If your state requires inspection, bolt a piece of scrap ply to the deck, and do it now! If you want larger tires or a lower trailer, wheel wells inside your trailer is the result, I did not want wheel wells so I used small tires.













First modification move the axle back as far as possible. I believe it moved 8". A teardrop is a tail heavy unit, so this modification means the tongue weight will be enough. You want the right amount of tongue weight, too little, or too much and this is a problem. Andrew once again has a method. http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear81.htm
See part six rules of thumb before pulling hair out.


The tongue was too short, and harbor freight sells a 3'9" extension. The nice thing was it bolted right on, and the price was good to. The down side was it took about two months to get here. Others have gone to a steel yard and found what they needed to make the piece. With the tongue extended You need a reinforcing kit. I neglected to order the reinforcing kit, so I made my own.








The extension is designed to be used with a boat trailer kit which reinforces the tongue by adding two triangle pieces. I added the brace to the bottom so it could carry more weight. Remember the longer tongue makes it weaker. Later I have pictures of the painted frame that should make this clearer.














This brace across stopped a lot of the twisty tongue.
Yes the body has grown beyond where I left you, I worked on both at the same time, but explaining is easier if I separate them.

Next on the frame brakes, jacks, and paint.

del

No comments: