Sunday, September 2, 2007

frame II

Part II of the frame. Since I am towing this with a small car I elected to install trailer brakes. I ordered an axle that put the wheels the same distance apart as the original axle. The brake hubs mean the springs have to move inboard. If I had it to over I would have ordered it with the spring perch location being the constant, yes it would have been wider, and the fenders would need spaced out. I had to move the spring mounts inward, which required two 2" x 3" angle that was 1/4" thick. The harbor freight springs are wider than the ones my new axle intended, so I had to use the top plates from harbor freight.



Here is how the rear cross member turned out. The rear overhang is to support the stabilizer jacks (it would have worked better if I had turned it over). The only welding in the whole project was on this cross member and the spring perches on the axle.










Here is the jacks installed. See the spacers (may show up better in last picture) and why this piece is upside down.













Here is my painted frame you can see the triangle reinforcing at the front, and the spacers for the rear jacks.


Things left to do, wire the brakes, install jam nuts on the U bolts, and cotter pins on the shackle bolts.

del

No comments: