Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tail lites

Tail lites need to be added to your trailer, how you choose to deal with them is your choice. I choose round ones, frenched in, with blue dots (check with local laws before installing blue dots).
I went to a local irrigation supply and found pvc pipe the lites would fit.









I bought a hole saw that matched the OD of the pipe, and an extra long center bit for the saw. Mark center points and drill the holes in line with the center line of the trailer, not the skin. A lot of fitting and fusing will gain you two tubes that match. Once you are happy with the location, clamp into place and fiberglass in place on the inside.








Inside view of clamps. Let dry.














After resin dries trim the outside flush. I used 1/2 ply for the backing, fiberglassed in, to mount the lites. This method of installing lites will gain you minimal lighting for your trailer, if you desire more or different get creative. On the forum we debated whether I needed more lighting. There were two camps, and I chose to go this way knowing if someone did not notice my small lights, on a bright yellow trailer, they were not paying attention, and would not notice ten time more lights. My 2c.

del

No comments: